Friday, August 7, 2009

Keyword in URL works!

Like I've been saying, I've been reading a lot from the gurus. Most of them seem too glib to be true, thus I deemed them as nothing more than leeches who are out to get your money. As I read more and more material about blogging, the theme about keyword research seem really centering on some fundamental 'facts'. I call them facts now because they are really common among all the preachers. They tell you about the importance of keyword research prior to writing your articles or prior to launching your blog or website.

Intrigued, I embarked on an experiment to prove this myself and settle once and for all my doubts about these facts.

I did some research on a lot of keyphrases. A keyphrase differs from a keyword in that a keyword consist of only one word. I directly aimed for keyphrases, or they sometimes call these long-tail keywords, because I know that most if not all profitable keywords (even the non-profitable ones in fact) have all been taken over by the early greedy hoarders.

I hit upon something with more than a thousand estimated searches per month. I checked the domain name for this particular phrase and found it vacant or not taken yet. I just went ahead and purchased this domain name and created some initial one-page content. Then I uploaded this to my server.

It took 5 days before google had the main page indexed. By then I had added 2 more pages to the site, and had done some backlinking work, commenting on about 6 blogs. When I checked google using a software that tells me if my site is within the first 1000 in google for a particular keyphrase, it was not found.

The next day, I did a 'site:mydomainname.tld' search again on google. What the...? It was gone. It says it cannot find the site. I thus searched for some idea why this would happen. Several sources say that it happens sometimes with google, and that you need not worry, it'll come back. Others warn of the site being banned.

My worries were wiped out when I checked it out again the next day. It was back. And the biggest surprise was when I found out that it is now number 8 in google's first page for the targeted keyphrase!

Long story short, I am now convinced of the power of "a keyphrase in the url principle". Henceforth, I'll definitely be researching for profitable keyphrases and repeat the process I have just done. Maybe I'll also change my mind about the glib gurus. Maybe they indeed are telling the truth.

In Moralde.com, I had just added another item in my wishlist:Western Digital external usb harddrive.